Monday, March 23, 2009

Weaving Plastic



My studio project of late has been making yardage on my floor loom. I have been making fabric out of plastic grocery bags for some time now. The first experiment with this technique was in Vince Foote's Industrial Design class at NC State School of Design. 16 years later, I am still making bags and other accessories out of recycled plastic. The inspiration for the latest incarnation of bags was from my husband who was skeptical about moving my floor loom from Maryland to Colorado since he hadn't seen me working on it in several years. Which was true, I was pretty involved in making vessels and worked primarily on my frame loom. I am happy to be back on the floor loom and the response from visitors to my studio has been overwhelmingly positive. Stay tuned, next stop wallets and bags made out of the recycled plastic grocery bag fabric.

No comments: